James “Jim” Eugene Carrey (born January 17, 1962 in Newmarket, Ontario) is a Canadian comedian and actor. Since 2004 he has also an American citizen.
Since the film Ace Ventura – Pet Detective in 1994 Carrey is one of the most successful comedians in Hollywood. For his acting performance in The Truman Show and Man on the Moon he won a Golden Globe.
Jim Carrey grew up in poor circumstances. The class clown Carrey, whose example of U.S. comedian Jerry Lewis has already brought his classmates at school, with regular appearances laugh. In 1969, he was first seen in Sesame Street on television. At the age of ten years, he applied for the Carol-Burnett-Show. At 15, Carrey was a stand-up comedian on the stages of various comedy clubs in Toronto. In 1978 he broke off his education for financial reasons and moved to Los Angeles to become an actor. Shortly thereafter he was an ensemble member in Mitzi Shore’s Comedy Store and also took on smaller roles in films.
His breakthrough as a comedian Carrey did in 1982, when he in a tour by the entertainer Rodney Dangerfield appeared in the opening act. In the same year he got his own TV show, The Duck Factory. In 1985, he was in Once Bitten, and had his big screen debut in 1986 in Francis Ford Coppola’s Peggy Sue Got Married with. 1987 Carrey played his first leading role as sexhungriger aliens in the comedy Earth Girls Are Easy, the third from the star center came in 1989 in the cinemas. From 1990, he appeared in the sitcom In Living Color too.
Carrey has been known worldwide in 1994 under the title role in the slapstick comedy Ace Ventura – Pet Detective. The movie fell through with the critics and brought Carrey a nomination for the Golden Raspberry as Worst New Discovered, but the audience was well received and has recorded more than 72 million U.S. dollars. Carrey has been filled by this success, the same year in two other main roles: both The Mask and Dumb and Dumber have to success, as well as the continuation of Ace Ventura – When Nature the following year. The three films were playing in the United States, each about 100 million U.S. dollars and Carrey bestowed numerous awards (including Comedy Star of the Year 1995, People’s Choice Award), which earned him the reputation of an “earned the new Jerry Lewis.” Carrey distinct gestures and facial expressions as well as his votes were imitations of his trademarks.
The successful comic book movie Batman Forever worked with Carrey in the role of villain Riddler. He could now demand higher salaries than before. In 1996, he received 20 million U.S. dollars for the Cable Guy, but the film remained financially behind expectations. 1997 Carrey once again recorded a great success with Liar Liar, which einspielte over 181 million and earned him a nomination for a Golden Globe for best actor.
In Peter Weir’s drama The Truman Show, Carrey played his first tragi-comic role. The film is about a man playing since he was born without his knowledge, the lead role in a television series. This film was not only successful at the box office but brought a Carrey critical acclaim. Even in his next project, Man on the Moon in 1999, he showed his serious side and represented Andy Kaufman, a revered both in the U.S. as well as the controversial comedian. In The Truman Show and Man on the Moon was in each case Carrey won the Golden Globe for Best Performance in a drama or a comedy, which he had established himself as a serious actor.
Carrey played since 2000 in several financially successful slapstick comedies like Me, Myself & it (2000), The Grinch (2000), Bruce Almighty (2003), Lemony Snicket – Mysterious Events (2004) and Dick and Jane (2005) the leading role. In addition, he also acted in films like The Majestic (2001), Catch Me If You (2004) and Number 23 (2007), who deviated from his usual role of occupation. Remember, however was not my! praised by critics and won the European Film Award for best non-European film and the Oscar for best screenplay.
2008 Jim Carrey borrowed the title character in the animated film Horton Hears a Who! his voice and played the lead role in Yes Man.
At the end of the year, a reinterpretation of the classic A Christmas story by director Robert Zemeckis, Disney’s A Christmas story came to the cinemas. In this film, the Carrey lent his voice to the grumpy Scrooge.
His German dubbing voice is Stefan Fredrich.
Jim Carrey was married from 1987 to 1995 with Melissa Womer, from this marriage comes a 1987-born daughter. From 1996 to 1997 he was married to actress Lauren Holly, his co-star of Dumb and Dumber. During the filming of Me, Myself & Irene Carrey was romantically involved with his film partner Renée Zellweger. Currently he is the friend of the model Jenny McCarthy. Beginning in January 2009 for McCarthy, Carrey has established a trust fund in the amount of 50 million U.S. dollars. This fund is to ensure the financial security of McCarthy .
* 1983: The Sex and Violence Family Hour (Short)
* 1983: Copper Mountain
* 1983: Applause for Janet (Janet Introducing. ..), TV-Short
* 1983: Fun at Copper Mountain (Copper Mountain), Short
* 1983: All in Good Taste
* 1984: Buffalo Bill (TV series)
* 1984: The Duck Factory (TV series)
* 1984: The Chaos Express / Who’s who (Finders Keepers)
* 1985: Once Bitten Bitten (Once)
* 1986: Peggy Sue Got Married (Peggy Sue Got Married)
* 1988: Dirty Harry V – The Dead Pool (The Dead Pool)
* 1988: Zebo, the third from the star center (Earth Girls Are Easy)
* 1989: Mike Hammer: Murder Takes All (TV movie)
* 1989: Pink Cadillac
* 1990-1994: In Living Color (TV series)
* 1991: High Strung (High Strung)
* 1992: Appearances can be deceptive (Doing Time on Maple Drive), TV-Film
* 1994: Ace Ventura – Pet Detective (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective)
* 1994: The Mask (The Mask)
* 1994: Dumb and Dumber (Dumb & Dumber)
* 1995: Batman Forever
* 1995: Ace Ventura – When Nature Calls (Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls)
* 1996: The Cable Guy – The Menace
* 1997: Liar Liar (Liar Liar)
* 1998: The Truman Show
* 1998: Simon Birch – Small hero, big fun!
* 1999: The Moon Man (Man On The Moon)
* 2000: Me, Myself & they (Me, Myself & Irene)
* 2000: The Grinch (How The Grinch Stole Christmas)
* 2001: The Majestic
* 2003: Pecan Pie (Short)
* 2003: Bruce Almighty (Bruce Almighty)
* 2004: Catch Me If You (Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind)
* 2004: Lemony Snicket – Mysterious Events (Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events)
* 2005: Dick and Jane – to anything, good for nothing (Fun With Dick and Jane)
* 2007: Number 23
* 2008: Horton Hears a Who! (Horton Hears a Who!), Voice
* 2008: The Ja-Sager (Yes Man)
* 2009: Disney’s A Christmas Story (A Christmas Carol), 3D animated
Awards / nominations (selection)
* 1995: Nomination: Best performance of an actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy – for the mask
* 1998: Nomination: Best performance of an actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy – for Liar Liar
* 1999: Win: Best performance of an actor in a motion picture – drama – for The Truman Show
* 2000: Win: Best performance of an actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy – for Man on the Moon
* 2001: Nomination: Best performance of an actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy – for the Grinch Stole Christmas
* 2005: Nomination: Best performance of an actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy – for Catch Me If You
MTV Movie Awards
* 1995: Best Comedian: (Dumb and Dumber) and Best Kiss (with Lauren Holly in Dumb and Dumber)
* 1996: Best Actor (Ace Ventura – When Nature Calls) and Best Comedian: (Ace Ventura – When Nature Calls)
* 1997: Best Villain (The Cable Guy – The Idiot) and Best Comedian (Cable Guy – The Idiot)
* 1998: Best Comedian (Liar Liar)
* 1999: Best Actor (The Truman Show)
* 2001: Best Villain (The Grinch)
* 2009: Best Comedian (Yes Man)